ABOUT IAN BLACK ARCHITECT
Ian Black Architect is an award winning RIAI registered Practice, that specialises in residential projects, with particular emphasis on innovative, low energy, environmentally & ecologically friendly, sustainable design solutions, based on manipulation of light, space, site context, orientation, and especially end user requirements. We have commitment to high quality design & client service from inception to completion of projects. We provide a personal but professional and competent service.Working closely with clients to develop a clear understanding on their specific requirements, each project is unique, with an appropriate individual design solution. As the clients representative the aim is to remove stress associated with construction, through good communication, and effective management of the building process.
IAN BLACK SERVICES
We offer both partial (Feasibility & Planning Only) & full architectural services from conceptual sketch design, planning application, construction drawings & specification, site inspections and opinions of compliance.
DIRECTOR IAN BLACK ARCHITECT
Ian Black is an RIAI registered Architect and has over thirty years post graduate experience in construction & architecture. He studied Architectural Technology in Dublin, then studied Architecture in London, graduating in 1989, he worked in London on a variety of projects for high profile practices, before returning to Ireland in 1991. Prior to setting up his own practice in 2004 Ian gained experience working on a variety of projects with various architectural practices in Dublin.Ian Black has won Architectural awards, and had projects featured on TV and published in media. He is particularly interested in energy efficient design and recently gained Accreditation with Passive Haus Institute in Germany, as a Certified Passive House Designer.
Ian completed a part time Post Graduate Diploma in Energy Retrofit Technology in DIT (now TU Dublin) in 2014 and is therefore well placed to offer impartial professional advice with regard to the complex retrofitting of existing residential properties and energy efficient design . All new builds and renovation projects are designed in terms of optimising energy efficiency & compliance with NZEB ( near zero energy buildings) standard to meet compliance with current Building Regulations. Deep retrofitting of existing residential homes will be critical in terms of achieving long term future targets in the Climate Action Plan .
- Ian Black – BA(Hons) Arch, Dip Arch,Dip Arch.Tech, Dip Project Mangt, PGDip ERT MRIAI, RIBA, ARB, CPHD.
- Dublin Institute of Technology ( now TU Dublin ) Part-time – Post Graduate Diploma in Energy Retrofit Technology (2014)
- Accreditation with Passive Haus Institute (PHI) in Germany as a Certified Passive House Designer (2011)
- RIAI- Member of Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland
- Trinity College Dublin -Diploma in Project Management (1996)
- RIBA-Royal Institute of British Architects (1990)
- Polytechnic of Central London (PCL) – Diploma in Architecture (1989)
- Thames Polytechnic London – BA (Hons) Degree in Architecture (1985)
- Bolton Street College of Technology – Diploma in Architectural Technology (1982)
- Prior to setting up his own practice, Ian Black gained experience working on a variety of projects from private residential, to commercial, educational projects, with selected design oriented architectural practices in UK & Ireland.
Energy Retrofit projects completed as part of the PGDip
AWARDS & MEDIA
Architectural Awards2006 – Design & Conservation Award – Louth Local Authorities – House refurbishment & Extension in Drogheda, Co .Louth.Media2007– RTE Programme ‘About The House’ Series 8 Programme 3- House Refurbishment & Extension in Drogheda, Co .Louth.
Published Projects2006 – Irelands Home & Interiors Magazine – February 2006 Issue- House Refurbishment & Extension in Drogheda, Co .Louth.2006 – Irish Times & Independent –Property Sections – June 2006 – House Refurbishment & Extension in Clonee, Co .Dublin.2004 – Build Your Own Magazine – House in Grangebellew, Co .Louth.2003 – Sunday Times ‘Home’ Supplement -July 2003 – House in Grangebellew, Co .Louth.2000 – Irish Times Property Supplement –May 2000 – House Refurbishment in Malahide, Co .Dublin.